Spring has sprung and so has some exciting news and events around crypto. As always, we’ll cover the most significant happenings in crypto, as well our own BitPay news, including the new merchants we’re welcoming aboard this month.
In This Issue:
BitPay In the Spotlight
- WeWork is now accepting Crypto as a form of payment with BitPay
- Find out why BitPay CEO, Stephen Pair thinks merchant and consumer adoption of blockchain will continue to accelerate in 2021
- Camping World Partners to start accepting cryptocurrencies as payment for RV purchases through a new partnership with BitPay
- BitPay Adds Dai Stablecoin and Wrapped Bitcoin (WBTC) as Payment Option for Merchant Processing and Cross-Border Transactions
- BitPay announces a partnership with Crypto Open Patent Alliance (COPA)
- BitPay CEO, Stephen Pair discusses the distinct differences in crypto customers
- Phunware partners with BitPay to expand its corporate benefits package to provide cryptocurrency payroll options for employees
Other Industry News
Here’s a list of some of the most significant happenings in crypto over this past month:
- Venmo, Tesla, and others begin to cash in on cryptocurrency
- Dogecoin’s record-breaking rise shoots ‘joke’ cryptocurrency to wider attention
- Visa forges new connections between digital and traditional currencies by becoming the first major payment network to accept USDC
- The New York Giants have teamed up with grayscale investments for NFL’s first cryptocurrency partnership
- A Mastercard crypto survey found 4 in 10 people plan to use cryptocurrency in the next year
- Miami-Dade County Creating Cryptocurrency Task Force
2021 Cryptocurrency Payments Report
PYMNTS, in collaboration with BitPay, set out to examine consumers’ current interest in and future plans for ownership and use of cryptocurrency. PYMNTS surveyed 8,008 cryptocurrency users and nonusers in the U.S. to examine the ways in which they plan to use crypto to make purchases, what crypto they plan to use — and how merchant acceptance can influence merchant choice and consumer spend. To learn more about what the research found, download the report here.
BitPay Bids Welcome to New Businesses
It’s our monthly pleasure – and great honor – to welcome aboard new businesses that use our products and services. This month we’re excited to announce more partnerships with clients in the luxury jewelry industry, as well as extending our reach in the Sports industry, among others. Please join us in saying hello to these new, exceptional members of the BitPay family!
- Allurez.com – Custom Engagement Rings / Wedding Bands (Online Payments)
- Bobby Hotel – A Boutique Nashville Hotel (Email Billing)
- Camping World – The Nation’s Largest RV Dealer (Email Billing)
- Eightsleep.com – The #1 Smart Mattress & Accessories (Online Payments)
- E11EVEN – An Exclusive Miami Nightclub (Email Billing and Checkout app)
- flyExclusive – Private Jet Charter (Email Billing)
- FredLeighton.com – Vintage & Contemporary Jewels (Online Payments)
- Guaranty Escrow – Real Estate Escrow (Email Billing)
- Jomashop.com – Luxury Fashion eTailer of Watches and Handbags (Online Payments)
- Kwiat.com – Diamond Engagement Rings / Wedding Bands / Jewelry (Online Payments)
- Francis Suarez for Miami Mayor – Political Campaign (Online Donations)
- Marcum LLP – Accountants and Advisors (Email Billing)
- Mecum Auctions – The World’s Largest Collector Car Auctions (Email Billing)
- Phunware – Austin, Texas Based Software Company (Payouts)
- TheArsenale – Online Marketplace for Micro Industrial and Independent Builders (Online Payments)
- WeWork – Office Space and Workspace Solutions (Email Billing)
BitPay Merchant Spotlight: Jomashop.com
Founded in 1999, Jomashop.com is one of the largest US luxury fashion e-Tailers with over 650 brands and 75,000 unique items ranging from watches, handbags, sunglasses, beauty, apparel, shoes and more. Their competitive pricing and exceptional customer service have made them a top 200 e-commerce company.
Visit their site to explore their various high-end, yet affordable products and join us in welcoming them to the BitPay family!
BitPay Merchant Shout-outs
- Ace Jewelers for their recent blog post Buy Luxury Watches And Jewelry With Crypto Currency Via BitPay
- CRM Jewelers for promoting via Instagram another $300k BTC transaction with BitPay
- Guaranty Escrow for building a crypto landing page promoting crypto acceptance
- Maison Birks for creating a crypto landing page promoting crypto acceptance at maisonbirks.com
- Oakland A’s and their Dogecoin promotion – Snag two tickets in a pod in the Plaza Infield for games May 3, 4, 5, or 6, at the Oakland Coliseum for 100 Dogecoin
- Truefacet.com for including a banner ad on their home page, as well as a blog post and BitPay Cryptocurrency landing page
BitPay Charitable Spotlight: The American Red Cross
The American Red Cross, a nonprofit organization that helps prevent and alleviate human suffering in the face of emergencies has been accepting crypto donations through BitPay since 2014. Read more here, or to make a donation, click here.
Word of the Month: Bitcoin Cash (BCH)
Bitcoin cash is a split-off or version of bitcoin that allows you to send money to anyone, anywhere in the world 24/7, 365 days a year. As a permissionless, open network, Bitcoin Cash also offers more privacy and anonymity than traditional payment systems. Because it eliminates credit card fees and encourages the adoption of the new payment system, many merchants offer discounts for paying in Bitcoin Cash. Click here to learn more about the benefits of Bitcoin Cash for consumers and merchants.
Product Spotlight: BitPay Extension
The BitPay extension makes it easier for consumers to discover how to spend their crypto online. The extension currently supports the United States, Canada, Brazil, Japan, India, United Kingdom, most EU countries and sites that serve global customers.
If a merchant accepts crypto via BitPay, the extension icon will turn blue to notify users that they can use their crypto instantly to shop on that site. [A merchant must be in our merchant directory to be included in the extension.] If a merchant does not accept crypto, but we have their gift card in our inventory, the extension icon will also turn to blue. In both scenarios, users simply click on the blue BitPay extension icon for more information and to see how they can spend their crypto online.
To be included in the BitPay merchant directory, the merchant’s website must include the BitPay payment mark and reference BitPay in website messaging. A high-resolution SVG image of the merchant’s logo is also required. To learn more about how to be included in our BitPay extension, please contact your BitPay account representative.
Marketing Spotlight: Bitcoin Conference 2021
We’re excited to announce that we are a lead sponsor at the largest bitcoin event in history, the Bitcoin 2021 Conference in Miami June 4-5. If you’ll be in attendance, we’d love for you to stop by our booth. Bring your BitPay Card to skip the line and receive free drinks on us! Additionally, if you have the BitPay Wallet app on your phone, we invite you to stop by and take a spin on our prize wheel. We look forward to seeing you there.
Did You Know?
On May 22, 2010 one man spent 10,000 bitcoin on 2 pepperoni pizzas, equivalent to $25 then. Today those 10,000 bitcoin would cost almost $600 million. This date has become known as Bitcoin Pizza Day and it’s coming up in just a few days! Check out the Bitcoin Pizza Index to see what those two pizza’s are worth today.